Saturday, March 20, 2010

New Beginnings

Off with Their Heads

Today is the first day of my new blog. Very exciting for me as I selected my blog name more than a year ago, late one night, sitting at the computer at my brother-in-law's desk in Mevagissy, Cornwall.  As I have been recycling out of necessity since I was a young girl and now create art from paper ephemera, found objects and my own handmade paper, I felt 2ndhandpaper seemed a good fit.  With this in mind, the newest work I am creating for the "Tossed and Found" show at Main Street Art Gallery in Edwardsville, IL will be handmade books inspired by 2ndhandpaper.  The show opens on April 2 from 6-8pm and runs through April.

The first of the conceptual artist’s books, “Off with Their Heads,” was inspired by an English Anne Boleyn postage stamp and a tour of the Tower of London last summer with family. The book is a collection of vintage envelopes, memorabilia, personal photos and historical facts about the Tower and those unfortunate enough to lose their heads at the command of ruling monarchy, plus a raven’s feather collected from the birds who, according to legend, keep the Tower from falling and a disaster from overtaking the empire.

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful blog! I saw that you joined the Slow Cloth group on Facebook and followed the link to your page. Glad to discover and "meet" you.
    Elaine Lipson

    ReplyDelete